Monday, October 13, 2014

Everyone Stand Up... It's Time to Move!



Wondering why I pulled out Mickey Mouse Club House and what it has to do with instructional practices? Let me tell you my thoughts!
 
As a classroom teacher, you have many great “one liners” in your back pocket…
 
*shhhhhhhh
*I like the way Suzie is sitting so quietly showing me she is ready to learn
*1, 2, 3 – eyes on me!
*Clap once if you can hear me
*Da da da da da…da da
*thumbs up when you are ready
 
But, many times, these “tricks of the trade” can only be effective with crystal clear classroom expectations (the boundaries clearly defined), engaging lessons, and the element of movement integrated into the lesson.
 
Research proves that children and adolescents need to move… for their own good. Actually, I need to move, too!
 
I have been conducting my fall formal classroom observations over the past few weeks, and I have seen so many impressive and well-crafted lessons. The very best lessons showcased the importance of movement. Some lessons incorporated movement naturally such as Mr. Hall’s 5th grade students conducting a science lab or Mrs. Scheidecker’s 4th graders and Mrs. Manley’s 1st grade students participating in a math game. Other lessons built movement into the lesson such as Mrs. Wills 3rd graders divided into small groups, Mr. Feagles’ 7th graders silently moving around the room for a roaring 20’s activity, or Ms. Ralph’s Toddlers playing ring around the rosy. A few lessons literally took a movement break midway through the lesson to get the wiggles out and get the blood flowing again. Mrs. Jackson’s 7th graders enjoyed dancing for 2 minutes to a fun pop song, while Mrs. Stripling’s 5th graders moved and grooved to the video above…”hot diggety dog” from Disney Junior!
 
Regardless of how we move, the why we move is pedagogically sound. Movement means everything to a truly great lesson in the classroom!

Teachers, want more information on Classroom Movement... Here is a great download containing 10 fun, active games to incorporate into your classroom!



No comments:

Post a Comment